Tuesday, February 10, 2009


What? We discussed Erikson’s model of psychosocial development which described eight stages through which people proceed over the course of development. Each stage presents a unique developmental task, and how an individual addresses it influences the person’s overall development. 
Trust vs. mistrust(infancy)
Autonomy vs. shame and doubt (toddler years)
Initiative vs. guilt (preschool years)
Industry vs. inferiority (elementary school years)
Identity vs. role confusion (adolescence)
Intimacy vs. isolation (young adulthood)
Generativity vs. stagnation (middle age)
Integrity vs. despair (retirement years)
We also talked about Kohlberg’s stages of moral development. He proposed that the development of moral reasoning is characterized by a sequenced of six stages grouped into three general levels of morality: preconventional, conventional, and postcoventional.
Preconventional morality- Lack of internalized standards about right and wrong’ decision making based solely on what is best for oneself
Conventional morality- Uncritical acceptance of society’s conventions regarding right and wrong.
Postconventional morality thinking in accordance with self-developed, abstract principles regarding right and wrong.
We also learned about the marshmallow study. Which was a study done by Stanford where they took four year old children and placed a marshmallow in front of them and told them they could eat the marshmallow at any time but if the marshmallow was still there when they came back, the child would get two marshmallows. 1/3 of the kids ate the marshmallow 2/3 waited to eat it.

So What? Having knowledge of this information can help know what kind of dilemma our students may be going through mentally. So we can assess them better and also understand them better. We can use this information in our class room to help us teach. In essence, we will know better were our students are coming from, from a mental standpoint.  
 
Now What? Considering I will be a psychology teacher I will be using this information a lot. I will be teaching it to my students. But I will also be using it to assess my students on a mental level so I may help them the best I can. As a history teacher I will be doing the same but the student may not know because I will not be teaching it to my history classes. Ha ha on them. J.k. I find this in formation useful and very important I believe in Erikson’s and Kohlberg’s theories all but the age limits. I consider myself as a Freudian Eriksonist. Where I believe in most of what these two say. Some things I think are to far fetched and have also been disproven so; anyway you get the idea, hopefully. I feel I know what I need to be able to apply it in my classroom but knowledge never hurt anybody so gaining a further understanding would not hurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment