Tuesday, February 3, 2009

This week we have discussed Vygotsky and Piaget’s theories of cognitive development. We also discussed assimilation and accommodation. What are the differences between the two, how does this apply to the students in our class room and so on. Assimilation is absorbing knowledge given to us. Where accommodation is when you adjust the knowledge you know to what you just learned.  
 Piaget had his stages of cognitive development and had his cognitive tests that would test a child’s level of cognitive development based on his stages. In Vygotsky theory, adults play a bigger role in a child’s cognitive development. An adult gives their child tasks and activities that allow the child to grow cognitively. 
 It helps to know this information because as teachers it will help to know what level of cognitive development your student is at. If you do know then you can teach accordingly.
 I feel a further understanding of these theories would benefit me greatly. I plan to use then in my teaching or at least use them to help facilitate me in my teaching styles in my different classrooms. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Make sure that you use the What? So What? and Now What? format with headings in your posts and that you respond to each section fully. I would like to see some more critical reflection from you - particularly in the Now What? section.

    ReplyDelete